piątek, 17 lutego 2012

11 płyt Josha Garzy (The Secret Machines, Electric Flower Group)

Bo ktoś taki jak Josh Garza zasługuje na więcej.

Do niedawna znany głównie jako perkusista The Secret Machines (ciągle utrzymuję że to najbardziej niedoceniany zespół ostatnich 10 lat), Josh obecnie bębni w Electric Flower Group u boku Imaada Wasifa. Zespół ma w cv jedną epkę (o której pisaliśmy), druga nadciąga w marcu. Miałam okazję poznać Josha parę lat temu i dowiedziałam się wtedy o nim wtedy dwóch rzeczy. Że jak bębni pękają skały w promieniu 10km, i że ma absolutnie najbardziej zajebisty gust muzyczny ze znanych mi ludzi. Dlatego jest mi niezmiernie miło przedstawić wam jego ulubione płyty.

Wywiad prezentuję w orginale, Josh ma ciekawy styl pisania który warto zachować.


1. The first record that I bought

I was lucky to have 3 older brothers who loved music, so I had their incredible record collection at my disposal. The idea of needing to buy music did not occur to me until later on when I started listening to music that my brothers didn't have. My first record was actually a cassette... it was "Combat Rock" by The Clash. I bought it when I was about 13 years old with money saved up from an allowance. There were plenty of cassettes before i actually bought any vinyl. My first actual record was a birthday gift from my brother, Tangerine Dream's "Rubycon".




2. A record I'd like everyone to hear

Charles Mingus- "Let My Children Hear Music" An incredible record that is often overlooked by the music world. It's a compositional jazz album that stretches the boundaries of jazz itself.




3. Best artwork

I love Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"... that's an actual photo, not like today where you can "fake" anything to look real. Plus it's a great record.

4. Most underrated record of all time

Obviously there's a few records that could easily fall under this heading: Big Star's #1 record, Cardinal's debut record, Roland S Howard's "Pop Crimes", La Dusseldorf's debut record, Ted Lucas, etc,etc,etc... but I choose The Flaming Lips "In A Priest Driven Ambulance" - 1990. This album changed my attitude about modern,contemporary rock at a time when I was just getting into playing drums and looking for music that was current and NOT something my brothers listened to. This is an album that is as rocking as Led Zeppelin and as psychedelic as Spacemen 3 but still very unique. I got into this record when it was released in 1990 and I still like to put it on and turn it up... LOUD. Get this record!!!





5. Guilty pleasure

I love to listen to Yaz -"Upstairs at Eric's", this album is the reason why I don't like modern synth-pop... Yaz did it so well that now most modern electro-bands just seem like a joke.




6. A record that inspired me to make music

There's plenty of records that inspired me... one that stands out is U2's "The Joshua Tree". This album came out at a time when I was young and needed/wanted rock n' roll to make a statement... and it did. Larry Mullen's style and sound pushed me further into drumming.




7. A record by a local artist

Sun Araw - "Off Duty/Boat Trip"... Good shit by a local band.




8. A record for when i'm feeling down

Nick Cave "The Boatman's Call"... This album is like a warm blanket on a cold dark night.




9. Best lyrics

This one is simple. Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde"... the whole record. Nobody else comes close. Nobody. Listen to "Visions of Johanna" as one example of his genius.




10. A new discovery

I know it's not new, but i just discovered John Cale's "Fear" record.... amazing!!! Released in 1974. I also just heard the new Field Music "Plumb" record, it's quite good plus it has sweet drum sounds.




11. A favorite record I played on

This is a hard one... I dig the Marfa sessions we did. Never finished or released.




Posłuchaj "Electric Flower" (EP)
ELECTRIC FLOWER EP by Electric Flower

electricflowergroup.com

Brak komentarzy: